Sunday, December 4, 2011

Fun Event for a Good Cause

I was lucky enough to attend a volunteer event at Scrap and Sew, in Lutz, FL this past weekend.  This was a whirlwind event from 6:00-midnight (way past my usual bedtime!) and the response was great.
The recipients of the quilts will be kids from the Murray Child Development Center, a March of Dimes facility (the Easter Seals people).  Each sponsored child receives gifts per his (her) wish list and a quilt made by the volunteers.
The Murray Center serves children from 6 weeks to 6 years old.  They provide educational, childcare, therapeutic and family support services to children of all abilities and their families.  Many of the children have special needs and/or disabilities.  The center cares for children with conditions such as spina bifida, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, birth defects and/or developmental delays.  Physical, speech and occupational therapy are provided on an individual basis.

These are a few photos of some of the group as we watched a short March of Dimes video plus several of the quilts in process and some of the finished quilts stacked up.






I worked on my Monsters fabric quilt at the event, but had to bring it home to finish the binding.  I’ll take it back in next week.

I also donated this Ohio Stars quilt that I had finished earlier:

I also have fabric for one more quilt for them ... I should finish it next week also.

It was a fun event.  Oh, and did I mention we had pizza and cookies?  Yeah, a good time was had by all …

No comments: