In yesterday’s post I told of how I had spent a great deal of time in March working on Quilts of Valor projects. My Local Community Service also includes quilting for Project Linus.
I was given four tops to work up and two were giant-sized compared to the children’s tops that I usually receive – these were more adult lap-sized. I had a terrible time with the first of those. It had some kind of fabric for the borders and a part of the blocks that was not 100% cotton.
I’m not sure if it was silk, poly or a poly/cotton blend, but I could not work with it at all. It took me three days to get 15 inches of horizontal quilting (12 inches tall). That is not much! The thread broke every 3 to 6 inches and no adjustment I made would fix it – and believe me, I tried everything. They had given me a wonky backing that was cut from a wide back and there was not enough there for me to pull a thread or rip it to find the straight of grain. The combo of the off-kilter grain and the odd fabric might have been pulling the needle just enough to continuously break the bobbin thread. But to end this poor long story, I ripped out the quilting stitches and I’m giving the top back to the Project Linus group so they can give it to a more experienced quilter.
I was able to get two smaller tops quilted up for them – I don’t usually make tops for them as my contribution is the quilting. My piecing is usually dedicated to sewing and quilting for the Sunshine On-line Quilt Guild. Here are the two Project Linus quilts:
|Panto is Surf|
|Panto is Stars 'n Clouds|
I have a third top from Project Linus that is still in progress. It is a two-color top in a zig zag design and I’m not so sure I made a wise decision about the quilting panto. We’ll see how it looks when it comes off of the frame … this one is too far along to get ripped out, so it will stay with what I picked out. Sometimes I wish I could stop and practice some fancier quilting, but I guess I do OK with edge-to-edge pantos and I’m pretty happy to keep cranking out kid’s quilts!