Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Antique Quilt

Since I've been too busy to sew, I thought I'd post a picture of an antique quilt that I own.  This quilt was made by one of my great-grandmothers, but, since it has no label, I don't know which one (several of them were known to be quilters).  My mother has changed her story three or four times about who made it (her memories are no longer reliable) and there is no one left who can confirm it for me. 

It was made in the 1930s (or maybe early 40s) and it has more than a few worn places where the batting comes thru, as it was used heavily before I got it.  It was made in the days before queen size beds so it just covers the top of one in this picture.  The blocks are string-pieced diamonds making the spider web design that uses up every scrap - very modern - I guess quilt designs tend to return in cycles!  It also is bound in the method that brings the backing fabric forward onto the front (in this case, muslin).  It is hand pieced and hand quilted - I just love it.  Enjoy!

Shows the pieced diamonds


Close-up of some of the fabrics

One of the bad spots that needs repair - batting coming thru.

No comments: