Wednesday, October 30, 2013

New Guild Meeting



A new *guild* is starting up in my area, so I went last month to see what it was all about.  They have elected to be more of a chat and learn group then a guild, and that works for me right now.  Sometimes guilds can get bogged down with rules and cliques.  This month the guild (that I’ll start calling a Bee) was featuring gadgets – as in bring in your favorite gadget – and Show and Tells.

I took in a specialty ruler – the Lazy Angle – by Joan Hawley from Lazy Girl Designs.  I had made this quilt for a teen girl using one of the featured star block designs and fabric leftovers.
and I am in the process of making another star block design for a Quilt of Valor.

I have the book that has a bazillion blocks:



and I plan to make lots more of the various stars from it since they are quick and easy and will add a little interest to my mostly geometric children’s quilts.

One of the Show and Tells from the meeting was this modern quilt – an original pattern by a Bee member named Ellen. 
Modern quilts are a hot item now in the quilting community and Ellen’s quilt was juried into the Paducah Quilt Show this past April - a great honor!  Congratulations, Ellen.  I can't see me jumping on the Modern movement, since I'm more of a Traditional person, but I liked the colors in this one.  To learn more about the AQS shows, check out this link:  http://aqsshows.com/

But, speaking of current fashions, here’s what’s happening in the neighborhood:


Yep, spiders are popping up everywhere - they must be "in" this year!  The one above is a big one, but don't worry - that is an adult that it is wrapping up - no children were harmed in setting up this spider - LOL!  And this is a little one hanging from a tree:


And we even have purple ones with eyes that glow!


Spooky!!

No comments: