Sunday, March 15, 2015

Another Try at Scrappy



I have never made crumb blocks, but I was sent some from a fellow member of the Sunshine On-line Quilt Guild ( a group that makes donation quilts for children).  My first try at working with these blocks was a strippy quilt described at this post and shown below:
 
Digging into the box she sent again, I had some more of two sizes of blocks to work with.  So I decided to use the rectangle arrangement like the Boston Commons look with the smaller blocks in the center and the larger ones to make up the outside border:

There were cute square-in-a-square blocks with chili peppers in the center that had a dark blue background, so I used a dark blue for the stop borders.  I like that contrast.  Sometimes I use black fabric to make colors pop, but I like the richness of the navy in this one.  I might add one more border with colorful fabric or I might not.
 
Linking up later today to Quilting is more fun than Housework’s Oh Scrap!



 
And speaking of colors that pop, my neighbor has two orchids in her backyard that are blooming – these photos were taken at dusk but aren’t these still gorgeous despite the low light?!!
 





3 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Nice use of your crumb blocks!! They are kind of addicting once you start!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Two great layouts for those crumb blocks. They are each so colorful - Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for using the pop-up box so I can comment! I love both the ways you used your bits and pieces donated blocks. Those make great leader-enders, too.