Wednesday, January 6, 2016

WIP Wednesday



Today is Three King’s Day, aka Epiphany, aka the 12th Day of Christmas, and is the day celebrated in much of Orthodox Christianity as the day that the Magi delivered gifts to the Christ child and later as the day of His baptism.  In many countries, hay is left out for the camels (much like cookies for Santa Claus) and in return Christmas gifts are left for the children.  I didn’t put out hay and didn’t get gifts, but I sure can count my many Blessings of late!

And Wednesday’s are the day that I will be showing what I am currently working on.  My WIP (work in progress) for this Wednesday was on the frame until this evening when I finished quilting it.  I first showed it in pieces in this post on New Year's Day.  The digital quilt design is called Surf’s up by Karlee Porter:



The pattern was a New Year’s Eve Mystery that was originally designed by CindyCarter in 2011.  Link to the Jelly Roll Mystery:  https://carterquilter.wordpress.com/jelly-roll-mystery-quilt-2011-photos/


I especially like this pattern when the jelly roll and the background have high contrast.  Mine doesn’t since some of the jelly roll fabrics are almost identical to the background (I didn’t open the jelly roll to know that until after I had picked my background fabric).  I did substitute a few of the most egregious offenders with some of the leftover pieces of the jellyroll (rip it – rip it), and I think it is better  now.  But, as I've said before, you would certainly have to like orange!  This one is now in that ever-growing “to-be-bound” pile.

Nature shot of the day:




This guy is in a pond that I sometimes walk by.  Don’t know if he is a Koi or a giant Goldfish.  Both of those are a type of carp.  According to Wikipedia:  “In general, goldfish tend to be smaller than koi, and have a greater variety of body shapes and fin and tail configurations.  Koi varieties tend to have a common body shape, but have a greater variety of coloration and color patterns. They also have prominent barbels at the lip.”  I haven’t been close enough to this guy to see if he has barbels!
 
Goldfish that outgrow their tanks often grow larger when released into ornamental lakes.  Guiness Book listed the largest known goldfish in the world in 2003.  A fish from the Netherlands that measured 18.7 (47.4 cm).  It seems that the record still stands.  The second largest was a goldfish named Goldie that was kept as a pet in a tank in England.  That fish measured as 15 inches (38 cm) and over 2 pounds (0.91 kg).   On the other hand, Koi can reach length of about 1 meter (39 inches).  I expect this guy is really a Koi since he appears to be about 18 inches.  I like him and I’m calling him Nemo, just because …

No comments: