Sunday, July 8, 2012

Gators on the Move

Here in central coastal Florida, it is that time of year when the local alligators warm up and begin moving between ponds, rivers and lakes looking for the best food and maybe the best mate.  They have been so visible this year that it even made the local newspaper (must have been a really slow news day!).
Tampa Tribune
Here are two pics of my close neighbors.  The one up on the bank of the pond in front of our house is between 4-5 feet long and fortunately is still skittish about people.  Our pond has lots of fish, including tasty Bass, but if no one feeds him and he doesn’t find a mate, he will go away (no – I don’t know if it’s really a “he”…).
The other pic is actually of a really little guy – he’s only about 18 inches long and pretty skinny.  This pond is outside of our development, but connects via a concrete culvert and he travels.  Sometimes you see him and sometimes you don’t.
Really just a little guy
Personally, I have a live-and-let-live policy.  I don’t go near them (my photos were taken with a zoom lens) and they don’t come near me.  Works out well for everybody.

I have been working on two Quilts of Valor, but I wanted to take a break today to make up a child’s quilt for the Sunshine Quilt Guild to be donated to Wrap-a-Smile.  I had a small piece of this cute froggie fabric left:
So I made up this simple top with 4-patches.  I really like the result and it was quick and easy.  Made me smile!

No comments: