- The beauty, songs, and flight of birds have long been sources of human inspiration.
- Today, nearly 12 percent of the world's 9,800 bird species may face extinction within the next century, including nearly one-third of the world's 330 parrot species.
- Birds are sentinel species whose plight serves as barometer of ecosystem health and alert system for detecting global environmental ills.
- Many of the world's parrots and songbirds are threatened with extinction due to pressures from the illegal pet trade, disease, and habitat loss.
- Public awareness and education about the physical and behavioral needs of birds can go far in improving the welfare of the millions of birds kept in captivity.
- The survival and well-being of the world's birds depends upon public education and support for conservation.
Check out Beth's Blog at: http://quilterb-bethsblog.blogspot.com/ to see her beautiful photos of wild birds and her very excellent quilts, also!