Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Peacefully Piecing Tops

I am having a great time with my new Bernina machine.  I went to the second class last night and learned all about the decorative and specialty stitches.  I also had one of those incredibly valuable learning experiences before I went and was able to talk with the instructor about it.

I had reluctantly agreed to repair some lingerie (I hate do not like working with that slinky fabric at all!).  Well, sure enough, the machine ate the fabric.  My fix, after I took the machine apart and retrieved the fabric that had been stuffed down into the needle plate (that was learning experience #1 – taking the machine apart for the first time outside of the classroom), was to change the presser foot pressure.  Well, it turns out that I didn’t actually do that - I had inadvertently changed the tension instead.  Then I forgot to change it back when I returned to piecing on cotton (learning experience #2 – put a post-it note or something by the tension wheel so you’ll remember to change it back).  Of course, I only noticed this after making 6 or 7 blocks.  The bobbin stitching on the cotton was acceptable – I didn’t have to rip it out – but it needed to be returned to the proper setting to be perfect.

So to make this long story short, I was telling the instructor about my adventure and she reminded me that not only didn’t I need to change the presser foot pressure, that I didn’t even have the ability to change it on this machine.  That’s when I found out it was the tension I had changed.  Live and learn.  So now it’s back to the piecing I love (on COTTON – the Fabric of Life – I’m very susceptible to advertising …LOL).

Here’s what else I finished up on Tuesday:
This top used Judy Martin’s Post and Rails pattern.  She occasionally puts up a free BOM or quilt pattern on her website.  They seem to be only out there until the next one is put up, so this one isn’t out there anymore.  This one went together very quickly and I liked the soft blues and greens.  Thanks, Judy, for posting this pattern way back when!

I also added the last row of my Quilt of Valor (maybe I should have ironed it!) and will take it to next month’s meeting for someone else to quilt on a longarm:
And this is the fabric for my next tote bag for Sadie’s Dream for a Cure (see this post for more info).

I’ll be finishing this up this week and getting it off in the mail, so I’ve got my work cut out for me (sorry about that pun!).

No comments: