Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What’s What on Wednesday

Today was a mixed bag.  I had to do laundry (yes, that happens to me sometimes), but I wanted to get some stuff ready for my next Quilts of Valor meeting, also.
It’s not until next week but I wanted to layout some blocks for tops and get them numbered so the ladies could be productive sewing them when we’re together.  We’re lucky that out group is growing, but that means that there’s not as much available space in our meeting room to lay out these bigger tops, so it pays to be prepared.
Picking up the numbered rows
 (this is a second top)
We lay them out and then number the rows – then when one block is carefully placed on top of another, anyone can pick them up and sew them together.  Voila!  Teamwork …

Then after finishing the vacuuming (how did that chore sneak in there – I swear I vacuumed just 6-8 weeks ago…LOL), I did a little more work on my new adventure.

I discovered a site called Sadie’s Dream for a Cure, named after little Sadie S. who was diagnosed with neuroblastoma at 6 months old.  Just look at this darling face and tell me that your heart didn’t melt at least a little:
Brochure from Sadie's Dream for a Cure
The mission of this organization is to help young pediatric cancer patients as they go through their treatments by supplying reusable totes filled with supplies to keep a child entertained and by providing emotional and financial support to their families.  The sturdy totes are made by volunteers.  Sadie’s Dream for a Cure is a 501(c)(3) corporation, so your contributions are tax deductible.  Be sure to check out their photo gallery at:  http://www.sadiesdreamforacure.org/Photo-Gallery.html
You can learn more about them at the above link or on Facebook at:

This is my tote bag-in-process.  I was sent a kit from this group with all of these supplies (bag and lining material shown and pellon interfacing, plus an extra label).
Lining (L) and Outside of Bag (R)
I am in the process of making up their bag and will make one from my own materials to return to them along with theirs.  These are stronger totes that take a little time, but their instructions are easy to follow and the results are worth it.  These bags are very sturdy and well designed.
Inside out - WIP

Ready to add the top cuff - WIP
I am pleased to now be a part in helping this organization.  You’ll see more totes from me in the future (and this one finished, of course)!

No comments: