Sunday, March 24, 2013

Treading Water

 Do you sometimes feel like you’re just barely keeping afloat?  Fortunately, that little rodent  and I both have itty-bitty life preservers to help us out.  Thank heaven for friends and family.  I haven’t been blogging much but I have been trying to do a little something each day.
These are the nice bundles I made up for our next Quilts of Valor meeting.  Each is marked for what should be cut from them and the sizes (blocks, bindings, borders, etc.).  That way if I have to miss the meeting due to family medical issues, our members can just pick up a bundle and the ball will keep rolling (and I will feel better about not letting them down).

And I did take a walk or two (well, maybe one) to see what was blooming.  The bottlebrush trees are especially full around my neighborhood.
You can clearly see how they got their name!   It has been a funny Spring, with cold snaps that last 2-3 days then it warms up – the plants are confused.  This was early March when it should have been warmer – check out the gloves on the stylish cabana boy (aka my husband).  Maybe the cold nights next week will be our last for the season.
 I have been eating myself out of house and home and decided to make something that was at least on the reasonable side.  This pie is really good (and low-cal) if you like light and fluffy things.  Very quick to make – it’s the time waiting for it to chill that gets to you!  It’s easy to take to potlucks and looks fancy if you garnish it.
It’s an older WW recipe for Key Lime Pie but you can substitute many flavors for the lime.  This time I used cherry jello and cherry yogurt (I only had strawberries to garnish though!).  And I only had one container of yogurt on hand instead of the 2 the recipe calls for – it worked fine.

Key Lime Pie
1 box (0.3 oz) sugar-free lime flavored gelatin
¼ c. boiling water
2 containers (8 oz each) key lime pie flavored light yogurt
1 container (8 oz) fat free whipped topping, thawed
1 prepared 9” reduced fat graham cracker pie crust

In large heat-resistent bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water.  With wire whisk, stir in yogurt; with wooden spoon, fold in whipped topping.
Transfer mixture to prepared crust; refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours.
Eight servings =  3-4 Pts+ depending on ingredients (FF or not)

And on the track for children’s quilts, I have an Attic Windows in the works that uses robot and circuit board fabrics for what you'll see in the "windows".  This photo doesn’t do the fabrics justice, but I think it’ll be kewl and trendy!  OK – old people just shouldn’t try to use slang … LOL.  Or "LOL" either ... ha!

No comments: