Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

Here in the United States of America, July 4th has a special significance as the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

As we celebrate with picnics and fireworks, we might remember this quote from Adlai Stephenson, an American politician and diplomat:

America is much more than a geographical fact.  It is a political and moral fact – the first community in which men set out in principle to institutionalize freedom, responsible government, and human equality.”

I must admit, I really like bluegrass and country music.  I think one of the best patriotic songs in country music is *God Bless the USA* written and sung by Lee Greenwood.  And one of the best lines from that song is:
   "I gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today/
  'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land/
   God bless the USA".

Though Greenwood wrote this song in 1983, it didn't become a big hit until Desert Storm in 1991, when radio stations embraced it to help boost patriotism. The song re-entered the country charts in 2001 after 9/11.

I usually make children’s quilts for donation, but once I had an opportunity to make  a patriotic quilt – that was shortly after 9/11 when a co-worker’s church group wanted me to teach them how to make a quilt to send to the heroic firefighters.  I really regret that I never got a picture of that finished quilt or the wonderful group of ladies that made it.

If you are thinking of making a patriotic quilt, here is a great link with free patterns and suggestions:

I hope you and yours enjoy this Independence Day Holiday and spare a thought for those who fought to ensure our country remains free.

No comments: