Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Walking on Wednesdays

Talk about your camouflage!
According to the Florida Forestry Association, this tree is a Sycamore, also called a Buttonwood or Plane Tree.  Its bark flakes off annually in large patches and exposes the nearly white, green or tan younger bark.  The fruit on it is about a 1 inch ball that breaks up in early spring when its small seeds are scattered by the wind.  I didn’t know we had Sycamores in Florida until I starting paying attention on my walks.  This branch with the fruit on it was on the sidewalk and caused me to look around and see where it came from – you can see the balls starting to break up and get fluffy:
Apparently teenage boys are requesting camo quilts these days.  When I make another for Quilts for Kids, I’ll drag out this tree picture to use as a guide in color selection!

But meanwhile, this is in the works today.  I’ve had this fabric with the cats in the tulips for quite a while, so I found a pattern in one of my books and am working up a quilt for Wrap-a-Smile.  I need to adapt the size from the pattern so may slow down a bit tomorrow while I try to remember how to do math and figure that out.

Aren’t those cats cute?!

1 comment:

Pattilou said...

Those cats are adorable! It's looking good!