Monday, August 15, 2011

Hummingbirds and Quilts

I’m always amazed that people can get great photos of hummingbirds.
Up in Virginia, they had at least seven or eight hummingbirds that came to a feeder at the front porch at the same time.  Of course, I never remembered to have the camera at the ready when they came!  And this was a great front porch – big shade trees, light breeze, rocking chairs – how wonderful …

One did land briefly on a bush right in front of me and I was able to identify it as a female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.  She was a feisty little thing!  She chased all the other birds away from the feeder then stayed nearby to continue to defend her perceived territory from each and every intrusion.  If you look closely, you can see her at the bottom right with her needle nose in the feeder.  I could’ve watched these interesting birds for hours (and did!).

They also like the Rose of Sharon bushes and perched on the electric lines in between sips at the flowers (see closer to the left of the photo on the line).



So that’s the last of the nature reports from Virginia – it was a great visit.  Meanwhile, back at the sewing ranch, I was able to put together a quick top from novelty blocks that I won.  Each had delightful crayon colors and a touch of black, so I just sashed it in black and voila! - a finished top.  I also finished quilting my colorful flowers quilt, but still need to put the binding on.

I have more plans for today … here’s a sneak preview of the book it’s from – I think I like everything in this book!

No comments: