Friday, October 15, 2010

Sandhill Cranes

We have a lot of sandhill cranes in our area and they are fearless.  While majestic, they will fly in front of cars, walk around people and endanger their lives at the drop of a hat.  They have a loud honking kind of croak that is unmistakable.  Yes, we do see the babies quite a bit, too.

Today we were at the local grocery store in a strip shopping center and one of these beauties was two feet away from the front automatic doors and croaking up a storm.  People just walked past him and into the store (with a few trying to distinguish if he was real or a Disney creation - after all, this is Florida!).  When we came out, he was a few doors down, still looking for a hand-out apparently.

My thanks for the above photo to http://www.photolibrary.com/

And, as an aside, I finished quilting the Stars of Avon (Quiltmaker Magazine, Mar/Apr 2004, designed by Avon Leekley of Culver City, CA - modified to include my own scrappy borders) - I really like it and, of course, I wonder now what took me so long to put it together!

No comments: