Sunday, October 30, 2011

Modifying the Mystery

Today’s job is to complete the Mystery sponsored by Cindy Carter at Quilt Patterns from Seattle.

You can see lots of finished tops that used the suggested jellyroll at this link:

I especially liked the one there that used Hawaiian prints and the turquoise one that used a jellyroll (most there did use a jellyroll).  They turned out great.

But, since jellyrolls are 2 ½ inches wide - and I cut all of my quilt bindings 2 ½ inches wide – and I have lots of binding scraps - and I didn’t happen to have any jellyrolls on hand – whew! – I just used scraps to make up my Mystery quilt.  The instructions specified to use a single light or dark for the background, so I used all of my light binding scraps for that.  And then I used dark binding scraps where it specified to use the jellyroll.  This is what I have so far:
I don't think a little girl would mind having a scrappy Dora the Exporer peeking out at her.  You’ll notice that I am also going to use simple borders instead of the checkerboard called for.  I guess I’ll just have to claim poetic license!  I hope to be done with this one and one that is waiting to be quilted today … maybe ...

No comments: